To encourage more companies to switch from road to rail, we are asking the Government to:
- Set out in primary legislation a legally-binding target for future modal growth, thus driving greater collaboration and innovation (as we have seen with decarbonisation).
- Work with the rail industry to incentivise businesses to switch their goods from road to rail.
- Establish an efficient logistics sector which has hubs and terminals in the right places, with strong rail connectivity to help avoid a road-led recovery.
- Commit to investing in the infrastructure required to decarbonise rail freight including a long-term programme of electrifying the railways.
- Ensure that the future industry structure supports rail freight growth and unlock continued third-party investment that will allow rail freight operators to deliver greater long-term economic and environmental benefits.
- Make the best use of capacity on the network, using a benefits-led assessment that considers the relative value of different capacity choices and which maximises the opportunities for getting more freight on each train.
- Upgrade Britain’s infrastructure to make it fit for the digital age, which can allow both freight and passenger trains to run more efficiently.