Engineering Team Member
Keeping our freight trains running for our customers
Engineering Team Members are responsible for maintaining the safety, quality and availability of our fleet of locomotives and wagons. They are required to work closely as a team and be flexible about training and learning new skills.
Duties can vary from depot to depot but will include:
- Electrical and mechanical engineering duties on diesel and electric locomotives including class 60, 66, 67 and 92
- Reading and accurately following schematics
- Fault finding and identifying process improvements
- Routine daily maintenance and longer term reliability initiatives
- Time-served craftsmen
- Electrical and mechanical engineering qualifications
- Previous experience in the rail sector or equivalent experience in a heavy maintenance background
35 hours per week.
Shift and weekend working
This can vary from depot to depot but as our fleet is required 24 hours, 7 days a week then there will be a necessity to work shifts and weekends, which means flexibility is required.
This is safety-critical position and successful candidates are therefore subject to attaining satisfactory medical standards (including normal colour vision) and screening for alcohol and drugs.
What is the recruitment process?
When there is a ‘live’ vacancy, interested parties can submit an application by email together with their CV, full address details and their current notice period, which are then forwarded on to the Appointing Manager. Then, the process is as follows:
- Appointing Manager shortlists suitable candidates
- Suitable candidates attend engineering assessments
- Suitable candidates attend interview with the Appointing Manager
- Appointing Manager selects the most suitable candidate
Last modified: 13.10.2014